Friday, August 28, 2015

Review: Ronda Rousey's 'My Fight, Your Fight'

Ronda Rousey MMA Book
PIC: Harry How/Getty Images via KSFM
There is so much hype now around Ronda Rousey that I sometimes forget what she is – she’s a fighter.  The first sentence of her book is simply that: “I am a fighter” and the following chapters are a gripping reveal which will resonate with anyone who’s competed seriously at any sport.

I’m still reading so this post is on the childhood and judo sections. It’s so rare to read a book like this by and about a woman, rare and refreshing.

So why should you read  "My Fight, Your Fight"?

  • If you’re coping with injuries you will love how Rousey finds strength in every ACL tear or broken bone. And this started even as a child with what could have been a debilitating speech impediment – I’m sure Floyd Mayweather would agree she’s lost that now! 
  • If you have strong thoughts on doping, you’ll enjoy her thoughts. At one point, she says: “A person who is taking a substance which makes him or her stronger than normal (in MMA) could really kill someone.” 
  • If you’re beating yourself up at training, pushing, pushing refusing to laugh in case it makes you less successful – read how Rousey went from being that person in 2004 before the Athens Olympics to someone who loves the highs and lows of training.
     “Back then I still believed that the more miserable I was, the more productive I was being
  • If you’ve gone days without talking to anyone except your training partners or even alone on the roads, you’ll smile ruefully at Rousey and her soppy movies.
  • If the Olympics are your dream, Rousey’s brutally honest assessment of her 2004 rounds in Athens will make you wince, and then feel inspired to keep on going. One kick, one punch, one run at a time …
MMA Ronda Rousey Book My fight Your fight
Rousey on my Kindle

And on a more superficial note, I’ve always wondered why Ronda isn’t spelled Rhonda; turns out it was a bit of mistake. Her dad’s name was Ron and he spelled it that way just because.

To be continued ... 
SHARE:

2 comments

Snowcatcher said...

That's a really nice review, Niahm. I didn't know who she was until after a recent win, when my sister let out a whoop so loud, I think I heard I three states away! She explained who Ronda is.

real girl sport said...

@Snowcatcher - thanks. I'm really enjoying the read, it's a lot more thoughtful than I was expecting. Your sister sounds like a fan :)

BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig